Thursday, January 17, 2013

Taku Lake - Campbell Creek Trail


10 moms, 2 dads, 1 grandma and about 18 kiddos hit the trail today. We took the Campbell Creek Trail from Taku Lake (Corner of King St. & 76th) and headed west as the snow was falling all around us. Yes glorious beautiful snow! We've had very little so far this winter, a stark contrast to the record breaking load we had last year. What snow we did have melted with the recent warm spell and rain.


Despite my oldest son throwing up his hands and exclaiming"It's a snowy snowland out there Mommy!" when he looked out the window this morning, today was one of those days, when I almost called the whole Trek off. I didn't get much sleep last night due to a teething infant. I didn't want to clean off my truck. I wasn't excited about locating all our gear, something I usually do the night before, but hadn't. I didn't know how the roads were going to be. My husband is going to be home for a long weekend tomorrow and I wanted to clean... I had a long list of "didn'ts...." BUT... we did. I know that the days I most want to stay home are the days I most need to go out, especially in the winter to ward off the onset of the Winter Blues.


When I arrived at the parking lot and saw all the cars parked with their hatches up, sleds and gear strew about and kids playing, my heart did jumping jacks! All these people wanting to hit the trail in this "snowy snowland" with each other and their kids, brought joy to every fiber of my being. Parents pulled each other's kids in sleds. Boys pretended to be dragons. Parents meeting for each other for the first time  immediately started exchanging stories of parenthood. One wise mama knew she wasn't going to get far down the trail with her two year old who was reveling in the freshly fallen chrystals. She didn't rush him and let him do his thing. It was simply beautiful and so worth the pushing through beyond my snowy morning urge to hibernate!







No comments:

Post a Comment