The Alaska Botanical Gardens is a great outdoor family resource. Some of the opportunities they afford local families:
~ Adult gardening classes & symposiums - take home some knowledge to share with your family & your own garden
~Trails and gardens to wander through and amble along
~Family festivals - The Harvest Festival is a favorite of ours
~Guided tours (on foot in the spring & summer months, by snowshoe in Feb. & March)
~Junior Master Gardner Program
~Weekly storytime for kids (starts in June)
~Discovery Duffles (my favorite) - their website describes them as "These bags, full of kids activities and books, can be checked out in the nursery Tues. through Sat. from 11am to 4pm and Wed. until 7 pm. They are designed for families, daycare or pre-school groups, or summer camp outings with kids ages 4-9.
Check a bag out from a staff or volunteer in the nursery. You will need to surrender a driver’s license while you have the bag. The bags are available from mid-May through mid-September."
A family membership is $50 for the year and includes:
- Free Admission to the Garden
- Early Admission to the SpringPlant Sale & Garden Fair
- Early notification & ticket offerings for special events
- Tri-annual issues of our newsletter, Gardens North
- 10% discount on purchases in the Shop-in-the-Garden & Nursery
- Discounts on purchases at many local garden & plant supply stores!
(On a related note Michael's Craft Store has some great kids gardening tools right now.)